My Resolution 2024: To have NO resolution AT ALL!!

 

Just like every year end on the eve of the New year, I dug out my favorite diary to write my list of promises that I make to myself to workout, spend more time with family, be calmer, streamline my work timelines etc. etc.; under the head “My New year Resolutions 2024”!

 

As I sat down on my comfortable armchair with a glass of wine to get my grey matter to start kicking, I started going through my previous year’s resolutions made in the past years and realized that the list was just a repetition and was only being carried forward year after year with no major changes.

Of course, I did try, and to be fair to myself, did manage to make my life better too with these resolutions but most were standing right there on the list being carried forward like a faithful friend year after year. Well promises are made to be broken or so I consoled myself to tackle the load of guilt that would start piling on even before the first month of the New year got over.

 

Over the years I have realized that life and I need not be perfect and its okay to have inadequacies. As I matured in the experiences that life had to offer me, I realized that I am the most Important person for me. Given the time constraints that the modern world offers, we can’t afford to be in an endless journey of ‘to do’ tasks.

 

What we need is to make the list shorter by identifying what truly matters rather than going on a loop of making a long list of ‘to do’ resolutions and then carrying forward the guilt of not being able to achieve to the next year. Instead of a long list of resolutions, I have resolved to automate mundane and routine tasks leaving me free to follow what I think truly gives me pleasure. Sharing some of the things that I have realized are important for a great and complete life.

 

It’s all about Money honey:  Money is important and makes our lives more comfortable but only so! Earning, spending and then saving, all are causes to give stress in a life time. This year rather than making a resolution to earn more or save more, invest your time on a one-time activity of constructing a good financial plan that can take away the uncertainties and give you a clear road map to better financial health. Automate Investments like opting for an SIP rather than facing the stress of choosing the right investment vehicle at the right time.

 

Be tech savvy:  Digitize and automate your bill payments and save your precious time and energy of keeping track of multiple bill payments. Choose a good mobile application that can help you keep track of your expenses, due bill payments and cashflows. To counter the fear of an online fraud, link a back account with the UPI/digital payments that has lower amounts left as surpluses. 

 

Health is wealth:  Do you know that the Gym memberships every new year go up in the month of January only to steadily fall in the subsequent months.  ‘Focusing on Health’ is a major resolution on many people’s New year resolution list but unfortunately this is the first to bite the dust in our endless pursuit of better lives! We try to form our own weight loss diet plans or formulate our own exercise formats, but remember what works for others may not be always right for you. So, this year, it would be a good idea to engage a good nutritionist or trainer who can give you solutions based on your unique needs rather than experimenting and then failing. Spending towards should be an integral part of your budget.

 

Keep the child alive in you:  Learn newer skills, follow your passion, increase your saving potential and be enthusiastic like a child. Do what gives you true happiness and be mindful of staying away from artificial and addictive happiness that comes from showcasing the best pictures or life on social media. With most of our waking hours being taken up by social media activities, this not only takes a toll on our time, but we also run the risk of being that much more away from real life. Adding newer skill would help you to generate additional cashflows.

 

Do the Bucket list: Each one should have a list of things that you want to do sometime in future. Sit down and create a bucket list of your own with things that you really care about and start knocking them off one by one. It need not be a list with things that require money to be spent, it could be as mundane as spending more time with your parent or child or giving it back to the society through welfare. The trick is to do it now and not procrastinate. To support this plan your cashflows and put aside regularly in a good investment basket.

 

Mental Health is as Important:  In a world full of artificiality, it is difficult to remain in touch with your real self. Don’t be too harsh on yourself if you are not the perfect weight, height, in the best profession or relationship. Tell yourself to be OK and take care of your mental health as the most precious gift.

 

I could have written this article with a long list of ‘To Do’ New year resolutions but this year I resolved to be different! It is one life that I am getting and I am too conscious to let one more precious year of my life pass with the dead weight of my long list of resolutions that never get completed.

 

Anupama Bhargava CFP

Money strategist


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should You contribute more than 2.5 lakhs to your PF after 1st April 21?